TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme 2024
Applications are currently being accepted for the 2024/2025 session of TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme. PhD candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
This Associateship scheme is an opportunity awarded to qualified PhD from developing countries. This program is organized by TWAS and UNESCO and it has several locations. The Associateship Scheme is to help counteract the brain drain affecting many developing countries and to support regular visits by researchers from developing countries to centers of excellence in the South.
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) is a merit-based science academy established for developing countries, uniting 1,000 scientists in some 70 countries. Its principal aim is to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in developing countries. It was formerly known as the Third World Academy of Sciences. Its headquarters is located on the premises of the Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) in Trieste, Italy. TWAS was founded in 1983 under the leadership of the Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam of Pakistan by a group of distinguished scientists who were determined to do something about the dismal state of scientific research in developing countries.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) aimed at promoting world peace and security through international cooperation in education, arts, sciences and culture. It has 194 member states and 12 associate members, as well as partners in the non-governmental, intergovernmental and private sector. Headquartered in Paris, France, UNESCO has 53 regional field offices and 199 national commissions that facilitate its global mandate. UNESCO was founded in 1945 as the successor to the League of Nations’ International Committee on Intellectual Cooperation. Its constitution establishes the agency’s goals, governing structure, and operating framework. UNESCO’s founding mission, which was shaped by the World War II, is to advance peace, sustainable development and human rights by facilitating collaboration and dialogue among nations. It pursues this objective through five major program areas: education, natural sciences, social/human sciences, culture and communication/information. UNESCO sponsors projects that improve literacy, provide technical training and education, advance science, protect independent media and press freedom, preserve regional and cultural history, and promote cultural diversity.
Company/Organisation(s): TWAS and UNESCO
Program Type: Associateship scheme
Program Location: Several
Available Slot: Several
Basic Qualifications: PhD
Nationality: Developing countries
Requirement and Eligibility Criteria for TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme 2024:
- Applicants must be holders of a PhD or equivalent degree.
- Applicants must have obtained their degrees in the field of natural sciences.
- Demonstrate excellent academic and research abilities.
SEE ALSO: KI Global Master’s Scholarships 2024
Application Procedures for the 2024/2025 TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme (how to apply):
Interested applicants for the TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Program are to complete and online application and provide the following supporting documents:
- Scanned copy of the applicant’s passport, even if expired (page with applicant’s name and surname);
- Supporting Statement from Head of Home Institution;
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae (no more than 4 pages);
- The applicant’s full list of publications;
- PhD certificate;
- Two letters of recommendation by two referees, one of whom should be from an expert from another country;
- A recent invitation letter – on the host institution’s letterhead paper – from one of the Institutions listed in the files available here. It should contain the proposed time of the visits (two to three months for each visit) and should refer to the proposed cooperation. It should be made evident that the applicant and the proposed host have been in contact regarding the scientific work to be done during the visit and that the conditions for conducting the work have been agreed in terms of the timing of the visit and the facilities available.
Application Deadline: 4th December 2023
For more information about this opportunity, Visit the Official Website.