DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Program 2023
Applications for the DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Program for the academic year 2023/2024 are now being accepted from eligible Sub-Saharan African students. Candidates for the PhD and the Masters are eligible for this program.
This Fully-funded scholarship is an opportunity awarded to qualified Sub-Saharan African Master & PhD students. The program promotes the mobility of researchers between Sub-Saharan African countries and capacity building at Sub-Saharan African universities. This program is sponsored by DAAD, South Africa and hosted by Sub-Saharan African universities.
Master and PhD scholarships in this program are awarded for preselected degree programs in development-related and SDG-oriented fields at preselected Sub-Saharan African institutions. Scholarships are awarded to Sub-Saharan African students for study and research in their home country (In-Country) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region).
For an overview of the degree programs and calls for application in the program, check out the DAAD’s Scholarship Database:
DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship holders are eligible for exciting funding opportunities in addition to the scholarship they have received for their full-time Master or PhD degree in Sub-Saharan Africa:
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for a short-term research visit to Germany
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for one of five interdisciplinary summer schools offered in Germany during their funding period:
- University of Frankfurt – Environmental and Remote Sensing Data Analysis via Geospatial Technologies in Research and Teaching (27th August – 18th September 2023)
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW Hamburg) – Education and Research orientated Training in Health Sciences(1st August – 31st August 2023 )
- Heidelberg University – Enhancing Academic Qualifications in Teaching and Research in Global Health(8th August – 31st August 2023)
- University of Applied Sciences Cologne (TH Köln) – Climate Change Adaptation: Risk Assessment and Design of Interventions (CC-Adapt)(12th August – 3rd September 2023)
- University of Leipzig –Innovators, Doers and Entrepreneurs [at] summer school (IDEAS) (3rd – 24th September; Virtual Conference: 26th – 30th June, 24th – 28th July, 18th – 20th October 2023).
Scholarship Sponsor(s): DAAD, South Africa
Host Institution(s): Sub-Saharan African universities
Scholarship Worth: Fully-funded
Number of Awards: Several
Nationality: Sub-Saharan African Students
Requirement and Eligibility Criteria for DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Program 2023:
- Applicants must be an active scholarship holder of the DAAD’s In-Country / In-Region scholarship program
- Applicants must be graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s program, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral program who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the program.
- Applicants have to provide proof of their English proficiency, as the language of communication
- Kindly note that applying for and attending one of the summer schools must not compromise your regular study program commitments or duration.
- You may submit an application for up to two summer schools in 2023. However, participation will be possible in only one of them.
- Please mind that participation is possible only once: If you have joined one of the In-Country / In-Region program’s summer schools in the last years, it will not be possible to participate again in 2023.
The following benefits are available for DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Program:
- Monthly allowance
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
Only applicable for In-Region scholarship holders:
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
Application Procedures for the 2023/2024 DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Program (how to apply):
Please be advised that you must view the online call for applications for the degree program you plan to apply for in order to apply for the DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Program for Sub-Saharan African students.
Application Deadline: July 11, 2023
For more information about this opportunity, Visit the Official Website.