TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2023
The TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Program is being offered by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India in conjunction with UNESCO-TWAS for foreign scholars from developing countries who wish to pursue research toward a PhD in emerging fields of science and technology for the 2023/2024 session.
This Fully-funded fellowship is awarded to qualified PhD candidates from developing countries. TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India for a maximum period of four years. This program is sponsored by TWAS-CSIR, India and hosted by CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India.
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research abbreviated as CSIR, was established by the Government of India in September 1942 as an autonomous body that has emerged as the largest research and development organization in India. CSIR is also among the world’s largest publicly funded R&D organization which is pioneering sustained contribution to S&T human resource development in the country. The research and development activities of CSIR include aerospace engineering, structural engineering, ocean sciences, life sciences and healthcare including diagnostics, metallurgy, chemicals, mining, food, petroleum, leather, and environmental science.
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) is a merit-based science academy established for developing countries, uniting 1,000 scientists in some 70 countries. Its principal aim is to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in developing countries. It was formerly known as the Third World Academy of Sciences. Its headquarters is located on the premises of the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) in Trieste, Italy. TWAS was founded in 1983 under the leadership of the Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam of Pakistan by a group of distinguished scientists who were determined to do something about the dismal state of scientific research in developing countries.
Eligible CSIR institutions: Information on CSIR laboratories and institutes can be obtained by following the links here: https://www.csir.res.in/about-us/csir-network-map. Alternatively, a list of eligible institutes is available here. SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country). The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period to be decided by the host institute, but no greater than 3 years.
FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those not registered for a PhD): The Fellowship may be granted for up to a maximum duration of 4 years.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): TWAS-CSIR, India
Host Institution(s): CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India
Fellowship Worth: Fully-funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: Developing countries
Requirement and Eligibility Criteria for TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2023:
- Applicants for TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Program must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Applicants must be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Applicants must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s degree in science and technology.
- Be regularly employed in their home country and hold a research assignment there.
- SANDWICH Fellowships: Be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships: Be willing to register at a university in India within the first year, if agreed to by CSIR.
- Be accepted at a CSIR laboratory/institution and provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (see sample Acceptance Letter that can be downloaded below or included in the Application Form). NB: Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen CSIR host institution(s), with copy to the CSIR contact person. This will allow CSIR to monitor requests and offer support or assistance in finding suitable host institution(s), if necessary;
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- The language of instruction for foreign scholars in CSIR laboratories/institutes is English.
Applicants for TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Program will receive the following benefits:
- CSIR will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs
- Food and
- Health insurance
- The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, Fellowship awardees are entitled to subsidized accommodation.
Application Procedures for the 2023/2024 TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme (how to apply):
If already registered for a PhD in their home country, applicants should ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the HOME university signs a copy of the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” (see sample included in the Application Form), a copy of which should be sent to both CSIR and TWAS.
- Applicants should submit the acceptance letter from a CSIR institution to CSIR and TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal and copy of the submitted application must be sent to CSIR by email. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available below for download.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programs. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programs may still apply for another program.
Application Deadline: September 15, 2023
For more information about this opportunity, Visit the Official Website.