The KAC Global Tobacco Harm Reduction Scholarship Program 2024
The KAC Global Tobacco Harm Reduction Scholarship Program is available to eligible overseas students for the academic year 2024/2025. Postgraduate students may apply for the scholarship; those who are interested are urged to make sure they qualify before the deadline.
This scholarship is an opportunity that offers a Stipend of $12,000 to qualified international postgraduates candidates. This program is sponsored by The KAC Global and hosted by Tobacco Harm Reduction (THR). Successful applicants will be in Attendance at Global Forum on Nicotine (GFN) 2024 in Warsaw, Poland. The opportunity to hear the experiences of previous scholars, Support in identifying ‘next steps’ in a possible career in the field of THR.
Tobacco harm reduction (THR) is a public health strategy to lower the health risks to individuals and wider society associated with using tobacco products. It is an example of the concept of harm reduction, a strategy for dealing with the use of drugs. Tobacco smoking is widely acknowledged as a leading cause of illness and death, and reducing smoking is vital to public health. The consumption of tobacco products and its harmful effects affect both smokers and non-smokers, and is a major risk factor for six of the eight leading causes of deaths in the world, including respiratory diseases, cardiovascular diseases, cerebrovascular diseases, periodontal diseases, teeth decay and loss, over 20 different types or subtypes of cancers, strokes, several debilitating health conditions, and malignant diseases. In high income countries, smoking rates have been reduced mostly by reducing the uptake of smoking among younger people rather than improving the rates of quitting among established smokers. It is, however, mostly current smokers who will face disease and death from smoking.
Indicative examples of the types of project proposals that the scheme would like to receive:
- Scoping research on THR priorities in a country
- Designing a research project on the nature or use of THR products
- Improving the applicant’s understanding of science and science skills by links with, or placement within, a research team or THR organization
- Designing and initiating an intervention project to enhance public and/or professional understanding of THR and related projects
- Forming an organization to take forward research on THR
- Developing a THR intervention project within a health and social care setting
- Making and disseminating a film(s) or other media containing credible and accurate information about THR
- Organizing workshops and training events on THR
- Developing science communication skills related to THR
- Writing a research paper or other material for academic publication on THR
- Establishing a website and/or other media resources to improve understanding of THR
- Examining how poorer countries might overcome challenges presented by ‘high tech’ THR initiatives.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): The KAC Global
Host Institution(s): Tobacco Harm Reduction (THR)
Scholarship Worth: Stipend of $12,000
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Postgraduate Students
Nationality: International Students
Requirement and Eligibility Criteria for The KAC Global Tobacco Harm Reduction Scholarship Program 2024:
- People intending to enter into the field of research into THR and/or public health
- Harm reduction professionals
- Postgraduate students
- Researchers and scientists
- Medical professionals
- Internet and social media professionals
- Film makers and other audio-visual professionals.
Successful applicants for The KAC Global Tobacco Harm Reduction Scholarship Program will receive the following benefits:
- Assistance in honing your proposal post-submission
- A stipend of $12,000 to undertake the project
- Travel to and from Warsaw to attend the Global Forum on Nicotine (GFN) (read program highlights)
- An online course in the theory and practice of THR
- Accommodation for the whole period of GFN, including additional days for scholars
- Per diems for the duration of GFN
- Enrollment onto the Mentoring scheme, with a named expert mentor (read program highlights)
- On-going support from the Scholarship Program Manager
- Assistance with problem solving – both practical and academic
- The opportunity to return to Warsaw in 2025 to share your findings, either as a poster display, as a speaker, or as an enhanced scholar.
SEE ALSO: Microsoft Internship Opportunities 2024
Application Procedures for the 2024/2025 KAC Global Tobacco Harm Reduction Scholarship Program (how to apply):
Interested applicants seeking for The KAC Global Tobacco Harm Reduction Scholarship Program should follow these steps:
Once you are logged in:
- Complete your profile (nationality, contact details, etc).
- Complete the THR-101 mini-course & quiz (at least 70% required)
- Submit your proposal
Submission system will auto-save your progress, so you can safely prepare your submission over the course of several days.
Application Deadline: November 30, 2023
For more information about this opportunity, Visit the Official Website.