MONGABAY Internship Program 2024
Applications are currently invited from motivated and talented individuals across the globe for the MONGABAY Internship Program commencing in Spring 2024/2025 session. This program is eligible to Students & Graduates.
This internship program is organized by MONGABAY and in Remote locations. This program is an opportunity offered to qualified students & graduates from across the globe. This internship program is a partially paid opportunity. The interns will have the opportunity to develop their writing skills and have their news stories be published on the renowned Mongabay website which boasts of millions of global readers every month. This internship offers the interns opportunity to develop their writing skills and become professionals.
Mongabay is a conservation news web portal that reports on environmental science, energy, and green design, and features extensive information on tropical rain forests, including pictures and deforestation statistics for countries of the world. It was founded in 1999 by economist Rhett Ayers Butler in order to increase “interest in and appreciation of wild lands and wildlife, while examining the impact of emerging local and global trends in technology, economics, and finance on conservation and development”. In recent years, to complement its US-based team, Mongabay has opened bureaus in Indonesia, Latin America, and India, reporting daily in Indonesian, Spanish, and English respectively. Mongabay’s reporting is available in nine languages.
Program Type: Internship
Program Location: Remote
Program Duration: 6 months
Available Slot: Several
Basic Qualifications: Students & Graduates
Nationality: Any Nationality
Requirement and Eligibility Criteria for MONGABAY Internship Program 2024:
- Excellent communication skills
- Passionate about environmental subjects
- Positive attitude
- Coachable and open to learning
- Strong values – personally and professionally
- Problem-solving skills
The interns will be working virtually (at home or wherever they feel most productive) with set deadlines to be met. Flexible working hours per week where the intern is able to work but an average of 10 hours per week is required for the full six months. Some weeks could require 15 hours or so while others may be considerably less; interns have to be flexible and plan accordingly.
The interns will be paid for 4 of their articles, with the two first being part of the initial learning period (rates will be discussed with internship editors in due course).
- Publishing experience in a high-profile news outlet
- Learning about journalistic programs and processes at Mongabay
- Becoming part of a community of passionate and talented writers
- Coaching and support:
- Meet and greet training session via Skype and Q&A with Mongabay staff
- Working with different editors and receiving guidance and feedback
- Developing writing skills
- Developing interviewing skills
- Resume building
- Mongabay letters of reference and personal recommendations
Application Procedures for the 2024/2025 MONGABAY Internship Program (how to apply):
Interested applicants for the Mongabay Internship are to submit an online application Here. Applications must be submitted in English. Applicants are required to submit the following documents (It is strongly recommended that you have these items prepared before beginning the application process):
- Cover letter
Indicate why you are interested and what values & skills you can contribute to Mongabay.
- Motivation questions (you can find them in the application form)
- Submit a writing sample from a journal entry or blog article (600 words max.)
Or you can choose one from the following three articles to complete a writing sample
- Beyond the numbers: Human attitudes and conflict with lions (Panthera leo) in and around Gambella National Park, Ethiopia
- Changes in the West African forest-savanna mosaic, insights from central Togo
- Thismia kelabitiana (Thismiaceae), a new unique Fairy Lantern from Borneo potentially threatened by commercial logging
Optional: submit an additional writing sample of your own (600 words max.)
Application Deadline: November 28, 2023
For more information about this opportunity, Visit the Official Website.